Gideon Roseman is a Chancery and commercial litigator. He advises in contentious and non-contentious partnership matters, representing both firms and LLPs as well as individual partners and members, including professional practices, such as solicitors, financial advisers and recruitment consultants and property developers. He has significant experience of high value and complex litigation in Court and arbitration. He is regularly instructed to attend mediations.
He has recently appeared as sole counsel in a number of successful appeals in the Court of Appeal in relation to both partnership and shareholder disputes.
He also specialises in commercial litigation, commercial fraud, insolvency, shareholders’ disputes, property litigation (domestic and international), professional negligence and wills and trust disputes. He has particular expertise in relation to worldwide and domestic freezing orders, as well as other interlocutory prohibitory and mandatory injunctions.
He has acted in a number of committal applications, typically those arising out of breaches of freezing injunctions and ancillary disclosure orders, including appeals to the Court of Appeal.
Private Client: Contentious
Gideon has experience in dealing with all aspects of litigation involving estates and trusts and claims made under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
- Acting in a probate claim which involves issues of testamentary capacity and want of knowledge and approval (led by Eason Rajah QC).
- Acting for the Claimants in a multi-million pound probate dispute involving issues of lack of capacity and knowledge and approval.
- Advising in relation to payments into court involving Administrators and Trustees of Trusts and Estates.
- Advising in relation to the construction of Wills and Trust Deeds in respect of clauses concerned with the payment of foreign taxes.
He appeared in the High Court (Chancery Division) on behalf of the estate of George Best and was successful in obtaining an interim injunction to restrain the sale of various chattels at a Bonhams’ auction.
- Acting for the surviving spouse in an Inheritance Act claim, raising issues of domicile, a polygamous marriage, breach of fiduciary duty and the equity of exoneration. There is also a separate claim against the estate concerning the matrimonial home, which raises issues of breach of fiduciary duty and the equity of exoneration.
- Gideon appeared in the Principal Registry of Family Division (Probate) in a matter concerning the estate of the fashion designer Alexander McQueen.
“A favourite for hotly fought cases, he gets stuck in with a passion and really fights your corner. He is a man with a quick mind, who is a pleasure to work with.” ‘He commands respect from the bench and is very good on his feet.”
Chambers UK 2019 - Partnership
“Absolutely superb advocate, leaving no stone unturned.”
Legal 500 2018 - Partnership
“A lawyer who has deep knowledge of partnership law, and offers meticulous preparation and razor-sharp analysis. He’s very good with clients and determined not to lose.” “A robust and effective court advocate.”
Chambers UK 2018 - Partnership
“Draws praise for his approachability, practicality and responsiveness.” “A really hard worker with bucket-loads of passion: he’s good on his feet, good at the paperwork, full of energy and liked by clients.” “Absolutely fantastic: he drills down into the detail very well, explains and advocates in a clear way, and if the other side has got it wrong, he makes sure the judge knows it!”
Chambers UK 2017 - Partnership
“He has an impressive aura in court, and is respected by judges in the Chancery division”
Legal 500 2017
“Highly experienced at handling disputes generated within both traditional and limited liability partnerships in the legal, financial services and property sectors, acting for firms and individuals alike. Respected as a formidable courtroom opponent up to and including High Court level, he also appears regularly in arbitrations and mediations.”
Chambers UK 2016 - Partnership
“Hardworking and tenacious.”
Legal 500 2016
- Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding), BPP Law School
- LLM (First Class), Hughes Hall, Cambridge
- LLB (Hons), University of Bristol
- Inner Temple Prize for BVC performance 
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple 
- Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Scholarship, Inner Temple 
- E.M. Burnett Prize, Hughes Hall, Cambridge 
- Highest First in Intellectual Property, University of Bristol 
- Blackstone Press Prize, University of Bristol 
- Association of Partnership Practitioners (Sub-committee Member)
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
- Chancery Bar Association
Gideon has given talks to firms of solicitors and accountants (including Maurice Turnor Gardner, Fox Williams LLP, Addleshaw Goddard LLP and Smith and Williamson) on company, LLP and Partnership issues.
Gideon Roseman is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. He is regulated by The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 53971] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [2360/067] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 984482375.