Gideon Roseman is a Chancery and commercial litigator. He advises in contentious and non-contentious partnership matters, representing both firms and LLPs as well as individual partners and members, including professional practices, such as solicitors, financial advisers and recruitment consultants and property developers. He has significant experience of high value and complex litigation in Court and arbitration. He is regularly instructed to attend mediations.
He has recently appeared as sole counsel in a number of successful appeals in the Court of Appeal in relation to both partnership and shareholder disputes.
He also specialises in commercial litigation, commercial fraud, insolvency, shareholders’ disputes, property litigation (domestic and international), professional negligence and wills and trust disputes. He has particular expertise in relation to worldwide and domestic freezing orders, as well as other interlocutory prohibitory and mandatory injunctions.
He has acted in a number of committal applications, typically those arising out of breaches of freezing injunctions and ancillary disclosure orders, including appeals to the Court of Appeal.
Ranked in Band 2 in Partnership in Chambers UK 2022.
Property Litigation (Domestic & International)
Gideon has experience of dealing with a wide variety of disputes involving land, both domestically and internationally. He is frequently instructed to provide advice and appear in court in all areas of residential and commercial property.
- Shilabeer v Lanceley  EWHC 3380 (QB) (Foster J): Successfully acting for the estate of a deceased person against the deceased’s ex-partner in relation to the beneficial ownership of the family home.
- Rahbarpoor v Brook Green (London) Associates LLP  EWHC 1348 (Ch): Acting for the owner of a block of flats in relation to an attempt by third parties to fraudulently acquire ownership of the property.
- Zas Ventures v Forkner  EWCA Civ 1062
- Muhammad and ors v ARY Properties Limited and ors  EWHC 1698 (Ch)
- Acting on behalf of thousands of individuals who purchased off-plan holiday apartments in Cyprus in relation to their claims against Cypriot banks, property developers, attorneys and sales agents. The combined value of these claims runs to many hundreds of millions.
- Advising in relation to a claim to enforce a contingent charge and the ownership of a BVI company that owned properties in London.
- Successfully obtaining a possession order in a claim involving issues concerning the Settled Land Act 1925, secret trusts, constructive trusts, laches, acquiescence and delay.
- Successfully representing the freeholder of 8 properties in a claim involving an easement of parking over a private road. The freeholder obtained a declaration that the defendant had not acquired any easement to park by prescriptive use and an injunction to prevent her from using the land for this purpose.
‘Excellent with good, clear and quick communication.’
Legal 500 2024
“Terrifyingly bright yet approachable. The sort of barrister that one has complete and absolute confidence in to deliver the best result.”
“He’s very good at what he does and gets to the bottom of things very quickly. Clients are always impressed by his manner, and the advice he gives is clear and straight to the point.”
“Gideon is a go-to counsel when you need to take apart a matter which looks fiendishly complex. He’s extremely adept at breaking things down and making it easy for the court to follow your case.”
Chambers UK 2023
“Gideon is an extremely tenacious advocate who is very passionate about his work, which shows through in his advocacy and drafting.”
“He knows the partnership and shareholder disputes area really well and makes concise, well thought out submissions. He reacts well to judges and has very good client-facing skills.”
Chambers UK 2022
“Certainly the person you want fighting your corner in a dispute.”
Legal 500 2022
“Easy to deal with and very tenacious in his pursuit of the case.”
“If you were in trouble you’d want him in your corner.”
Chambers UK 2021
‘Consistently superb in terms of analysis and detail; leaves no stone unturned and gives every case his all leaving nothing on the field.’
Legal 500 2020
“Gets stuck in with a passion and really fights your corner. He’s a man with a quick mind who it’s a pleasure to work with. If you want blood when fighting a case he is really up for it.”
Chambers UK 2020
“Incredible tenacity and a will to win”
Legal 500 2020
“A favourite for hotly fought cases, he gets stuck in with a passion and really fights your corner. He is a man with a quick mind, who is a pleasure to work with.”
“He commands respect from the bench and is very good on his feet.”
Chambers UK 2019
“Absolutely superb advocate, leaving no stone unturned.”
Legal 500 2018
“A lawyer who has deep knowledge of partnership law, and offers meticulous preparation and razor-sharp analysis. He’s very good with clients and determined not to lose.”
“A robust and effective court advocate.”
Chambers UK 2018
“Draws praise for his approachability, practicality and responsiveness.”
“A really hard worker with bucket-loads of passion: he’s good on his feet, good at the paperwork, full of energy and liked by clients.”
“Absolutely fantastic: he drills down into the detail very well, explains and advocates in a clear way, and if the other side has got it wrong, he makes sure the judge knows it!”
Chambers UK 2017
“He has an impressive aura in court, and is respected by judges in the Chancery division”
Legal 500 2017
“Highly experienced at handling disputes generated within both traditional and limited liability partnerships in the legal, financial services and property sectors, acting for firms and individuals alike. Respected as a formidable courtroom opponent up to and including High Court level, he also appears regularly in arbitrations and mediations.”
Chambers UK 2016
“Hardworking and tenacious.”
Legal 500 2016
- Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding), BPP Law School
- LLM (First Class), Hughes Hall, Cambridge
- LLB (Hons), University of Bristol
- Inner Temple Prize for BVC performance 
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple 
- Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Scholarship, Inner Temple 
- E.M. Burnett Prize, Hughes Hall, Cambridge 
- Highest First in Intellectual Property, University of Bristol 
- Blackstone Press Prize, University of Bristol 
- Association of Partnership Practitioners (Sub-committee Member)
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
- Chancery Bar Association
Gideon has given talks to firms of solicitors and accountants (including Maurice Turnor Gardner, Fox Williams LLP, Addleshaw Goddard LLP and Smith and Williamson) on company, LLP and Partnership issues.
Gideon Roseman is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. He is regulated by The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 53971] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [2360/067] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 984482375.