James Kirby joined chambers in October 2018 following the successful completion of his pupillage in Chambers. He appears regularly in both the High Court and County Court, and enjoys acting both on his own account and as a junior.
James has experience across all areas of Chambers’ work, including Private Client (both Contentious and Non-Contentious); Property (including Landlord and Tenant); Court of Protection; Partnership; and Commercial Chancery. During his pupillage he was supervised by Richard Dew, Jonathan Gavaghan, Georgia Bedworth and Jeremy Callman.
Before coming to the Bar, James was a Research Fellow in History at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he published a book with Oxford University Press.
James appears regularly in the Winding Up Court and before Insolvency & Company Court Judges in chambers.
James’ experience includes:
- Applying successfully for a vesting order under section 181 of the Insolvency Act 1986
- Appearing for both petitioning creditors and respondent companies in the Winding Up Court
- Making applications in Bankruptcy Petitions
- Drafting application notice and skeleton argument for setting aside service of freezing order out of jurisdiction
- Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), City Law School (2017)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction; Equity & Trusts Prize), City Law School (2016)
- Princess Royal Scholarships, Inner Temple (BPTC and GDL)
- DPhil in History, Balliol College, Oxford (2014)
- MSt in History (Distinction), Balliol College, Oxford (2011)
- BA in History (First Class – highest of year), Balliol College, Oxford (2010)
Associations & Memberships
- Member of the Chancery Bar Association
‘Tax Planning in the Court of Protection’, Lawskills (Sep. 2018).
James Kirby is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 69244]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/079] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 304589790.