James Kirby joined Ten Old Square in October 2018 after successfully completing pupillage in Chambers.
James is a Chancery barrister who has experience across all areas Chambers’ expertise including Private Client, Capital Taxes, Partnerships & LLPs, Court of Protection and Charities. He appears regularly in the High Court, the County Court and the First-tier Tribunal.
Before becoming a barrister James was a Research Fellow in History at Trinity College, Cambridge. He is the author of a number of articles in leading historical journals, and of a book published by Oxford University Press.
Partnerships and LLPs
Recent highlights include:
- Appearing as junior counsel in the First-tier Tribunal (Tax Chamber) in 5-day trials concerning corporate partner tax avoidance schemes
- Drafting a letter before claim in a partner exit dispute in a major professional services firm
- Drafting advice concerning partnership property
- Drafting written submissions for arbitration in a partnership dispute
- Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), City Law School (2017)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction; Equity & Trusts Prize), City Law School (2016)
- Princess Royal Scholarships, Inner Temple (BPTC and GDL)
- DPhil in History, Balliol College, Oxford (2014)
- MSt in History (Distinction), Balliol College, Oxford (2011)
- BA in History (First Class – highest in university), Balliol College, Oxford (2010)
Associations & Memberships
- Member of the Chancery Bar Association
- Founding committee member of the Court of Protection Bar Association
- Fellow of the Royal Historical Society
‘Tax Planning in the Court of Protection’, Lawskills (Sep. 2018).
“Historians and the Church of England” Religion and Historical Scholarship 1870-1920, Oxford University Press.
James Kirby is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 69244]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/079] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 304589790.