James Kirby joined chambers in October 2018 following the successful completion of his pupillage in Chambers. He appears regularly in both the High Court and County Court, and enjoys acting both on his own account and as a junior.
James has experience across all areas of Chambers’ work, including Private Client (both Contentious and Non-Contentious); Property (including Landlord and Tenant); Court of Protection; Partnership; and Commercial Chancery. During his pupillage he was supervised by Richard Dew, Jonathan Gavaghan, Georgia Bedworth and Jeremy Callman.
Before coming to the Bar, James was a Research Fellow in History at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he published a book with Oxford University Press.
James appears regularly in the County Court in landlord and tenant disputes. Other experience includes:
- Appearing (led by Jonathan Gavaghan) in a high-value mortgage possession claim in the High Court
- Appearing successfully to strike out a TOLATA claim as an abuse of process
- Applying successfully for land to be vested in a residents’ management company under the Insolvency Act 1986
- Appearing at final hearing of Part 8 Claim for an order for sale
- Drafting Part 8 Claim Form and Witness Statement in TOLATA claim
- Drafting advice concerning freehold covenants and residential property
- Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), City Law School (2017)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction; Equity & Trusts Prize), City Law School (2016)
- Princess Royal Scholarships, Inner Temple (BPTC and GDL)
- DPhil in History, Balliol College, Oxford (2014)
- MSt in History (Distinction), Balliol College, Oxford (2011)
- BA in History (First Class – highest of year), Balliol College, Oxford (2010)
‘Tax Planning in the Court of Protection’, Lawskills (Sep. 2018).
James Kirby is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 69244]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/079] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 304589790.