James Poole joined chambers in October 2017 following the successful completion of his pupillage in Chambers, where he sat with Richard Dew, Jonathan Gavaghan, Jeremy Callman, Georgia Bedworth and Naomi Winston.
James has experience across the full spectrum of Chambers’ work, including: probate, inheritance and trust disputes, partnership matters, Court of Protection work, insolvency, property and Landlord and Tenant issues, and is available to accept instructions in all areas of work undertaken by Chambers. He is instructed and appears regularly in his own right in the High Court and County Court, and is very happy acting as part of a team.
Before coming to the Bar, James taught at secondary and tertiary level in England and Vanuatu, and is equally comfortable being instructed in both English and Bislama.
James has experience across a broad range of commercial chancery matters; recent experience includes:
- Insolvency – both personal and company. James appears regularly in the Winding Up Court, including making applications to rescind winding up orders;
- Conducting public examinations of a Bankrupt under s.366 of the Insolvency Act 1986;
- Advising in shareholder and share valuation disputes;
- Seeking interim relief, including freezing injunctions, interim injunctions and orders for disclosure;
- Successfully gaining summary judgment and indemnity costs in a long-running commercial dispute.
- Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), City Law School (2016)
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn (2016)
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2016)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Commendation), City Law School (2015)
- Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn (2015)
- Lord Bowen Scholarship, Lincoln’s In (2015)
- MA Modern History, University of Oxford (2009)
- “Persons Unknown”, New Law Journal, 21 November 2014 (with Tim Lawson-Cruttenden)
James Poole is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 67708]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/077] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 278659634.