James is regularly recommended for the quality of his legal analysis, his persuasive advocacy in court, the practicality of his advice, and his sensitive and responsive interaction with clients.
He is ranked by Legal 500 for both Private Client: Trusts and Probate and Property Litigation, and by Chambers & Partners HNW for his Traditional Chancery practice. His inter-disciplinary expertise means that much of his work concerns disputes involving multiple areas of law. This is reflected in some of his recent reported decisions, which include: Ware v Ware  EWHC 694 (Ch) and Fantini v Scrutton  EWHC 1552 (Ch).
James’ busy practice spans a number of Chambers’ key practice areas, and particularly focuses on:
- Probate, inheritance and trust disputes, including 1975 Act claims, trustee/executor removal and TLATA claims;
- Landlord and Tenant issues, both residential and commercial, including pubs and licensed premises;
- Property, including covenants, easements, nuisance and boundary disputes;
- Court of Protection applications, particularly concerning Property and Affairs;
- Charity law, including advising charitable trustees and disputes over charity property; and
- Commercial and contractual disputes, including arbitrations and interim applications such as freezing injunctions.
James is a skilled and highly effective advocate, who appears regularly in the High Court and County Courts. He also has significant experience of offshore litigation, particularly in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
Before coming to the Bar, James taught at secondary and tertiary level in England and Vanuatu, and is equally comfortable being instructed in both English and Bislama.
James is also a qualified and experienced mediator, and welcomes instructions as a mediator in any of the areas in which he practices.
James is regularly instructed on non-contentious private client matters relating to both trusts and estates.
Recent highlights include:
- Drafting Wills and codicils;
- Drafting Deeds of Trust, including in relation to matrimonial disputes;
- Drafting Deeds of Appointment and Variation;
- Variation of Trusts applications;
- Advising on the construction and rectification of wills and trusts;
- Advising on matters relating to domicile; and
- Advising on the taxation of estates, particularly in relation to inheritance tax planning.
“James is a brilliant lawyer and an all-round great guy. He knows his stuff and is someone that can be relied on in any situation. I always feel better having him in my corner.”
“He approaches cases with good humour and is loved by clients.”
Chambers UK 2023
“James is always happy to pick up the phone and goes above and beyond with both his instructing solicitors and clients. He is very down to earth with clients who, without exception, always love him and feel reassured by his presence. James is excellent on his feet and can always be relied on at a mediation to get the best possible result for the client. James is incredibly knowledgeable and his written work is always excellent.”
“James is clear and concise in his advice, giving good guidance and direction. He has an excellent manner with clients and very responsive.”
Legal 500 2022
‘Has an excellent bedside manner with clients. His research and advice is spot on. He is a safe pair of hands. He will always go the extra mile.’
The ‘pragmatic‘ James Poole is recognised as a rising star of the Bar.
Legal 500 2020
- Bar Professional Training Course (Outstanding), City Law School (2016)
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn (2016)
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2016)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Commendation), City Law School (2015)
- Hardwicke Award, Lincoln’s Inn (2015)
- Lord Bowen Scholarship, Lincoln’s In (2015)
- MA Modern History, University of Oxford (2009)
- “Persons Unknown”, New Law Journal, 21 November 2014 (with Tim Lawson-Cruttenden)
James Poole is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 67708]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/077] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 278659634.