Jeremy is ranked as a “Star Individual” by Chambers UK Bar 2023 in Partnership, who describe him as: “universally acknowledged for his unsurpassed combination of exhaustive technical knowledge, thoroughness of approach, formidable courtroom presence and excellent client rapport” “provided excellent, clear, detailed advice. He’s very strong on novel and complex partnership and LLP queries” “really knows the law and has just got a fabulous air of authority about him. He knows where the grey areas are and how to build a strategy around them”.
Jeremy has a chancery commercial practice, focusing on litigation. He is a Barrister and Arbitrator with a strong reputation in partnership and LLP litigation. He regularly advises management on internal issues within partnerships/LLPs (including partner exits, team moves and restructuring). He represents both firms and individual partners, from solicitors, private equity, financial services firms, accountants, doctors and dentists to hedge funds, recruitment consultants, family property partnerships and farmers. Additionally he regularly advises on non-contentious partnership matters.
He also acts on all manner of business related disputes, company disputes, professional negligence, insolvency and commercial matters.
Jeremy regularly represents clients at arbitrations and mediations.
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Advising principally in the context of property related partnership disputes.
Recent Cases include:
- Heathcliffe Properties Ltd v Dodhia  EWHC 2628 (Ch): Important case on using contempt of court to enforce compliance with Court orders in the context of realising partnership property assets.
- Re VA [2015 – 2016]: Family partnership dispute involving numerous property interests.
- Re G v C & C : medical partnership dispute involving complex issues regarding partnership property.
- Dr Shakarchi v Dr Muir [11 March 2014]: GP partnership dispute regarding division of former partnership premises with injunctions sought re access to former partnership property.
- Re H : acting in family farming partnership dispute involving substantial farm land assets (one of many similar farming partnership disputes in which property issues have arisen).
“Jeremy provides excellent, clear, detailed advice. He’s very strong on novel and complex partnership and LLP queries.”
“A go-to for technical disputes, he’s extremely knowledgeable and a great guiding light for those that instruct him.”
Chambers UK 2023
“A genuine star: he knows more about LLP and partnership law than almost anyone else at the Bar, and is incredibly thorough and a delight to work with.”
“He’s an excellent advocate with a very smooth delivery, who is strong on the tactical front and gets all the points.”
Chambers UK 2022
“Without doubt, the most erudite and impressive junior at the Bar on all things related to partnerships and limited liability partnerships.”
Legal 500 2022
“His level of knowledge of partnership law is second to none.”
“He is a leading light in the area”
“Very user-friendly and natural with clients – he is excellent at putting them at ease.”
Chambers UK 2021
‘He is simply brilliant. His knowledge of LLP and Partnership law is unsurpassed.’
‘As good as it gets for partnership issues‘
Legal 500 2020
“Charming, very easy to work with, and good with the client, he is calm and measured in his approach and never gets into a flap.”
“A very user-friendly, incredibly approachable and very sensible person with broad knowledge of his subject. He’s highly respected and a very good man to have on your side.”
“Fantastic in every way: he possesses an encyclopaedic knowledge of partnership and LLP law, is incredibly thorough, fabulous with clients, erudite and utterly charming.”
Chambers UK 2020 - Star Individual in Partnership
“Jeremy Callman regularly acts for managing partners of major law firms and accountancy firms in highly-sensitive internal issues, and has substantial experience in non-contentious matters including drafting and updating LLP agreements.”
“The standout barrister on all things partnership”
Legal 500 2020
“His knowledge in partnership is second to none and he’s simply brilliant.”
Chambers UK 2019 - Star Individual in Partnership
“Focuses his practice on high-value company and partnership litigation, acting for clients in a diverse array of issues in the field. He is well versed in representing both individuals and companies.”
WWL UK Bar 2019
“He knows all there is to know about partnership and LLP and is an excellent strategist.”
Legal 500 2018 - Partnership
“Excellent on partnership work”
“Widely regarded as an expert in LLP matters and related litigation”
Who's Who Legal UK Bar 2018
‘Universally acknowledged for his unsurpassed combination of exhaustive technical knowledge, thoroughness of approach, formidable courtroom presence and excellence of client rapport.’
“As ever, right on top of the technical and commercial issues, and constantly accessible despite being always in demand. He’s a delight to work with.”
“He is always incredibly thorough and has this annoying habit of always being proved right!”
Chambers UK 2018 - Partnership (Star Individual)
“He has an amazing bedside manner with instructing solicitors and clients alike.”
Legal 500 2017
“One of the best minds at the Partnership Bar, with the highest service level I have ever experienced. His relentless cross-examination is a joy to behold and his thoroughness, intellectual rigour and sheer determination come through when the pressure is on and at trial.”
“He’s like gold dust. He’s very pragmatic, has in-depth understanding and adapts his approach to the matter in hand.”
Chambers UK 2017 - Partnership (Star Individual)
“Hugely bright, yet uncomplicated in his advice, he’s a great senior partnership counsel”
“Inventive and industrious, he always has a different angle on a case”
“Cited by several interviewees as their barrister of choice for partnership matters, due to his comprehensive knowledge, thorough preparation and high degree of client-friendliness”
Chambers UK 2016
“He is without doubt one of the most brilliant minds at the Bar in relation to LLP and partnership law.”
Legal 500 2016
“Widely acknowledge as one of the leading partnership specialists, he is a great team player with a head for detail, who is loved by clients”
“Extremely bright, hard-working and commercially aware, he’s an individual who inspires confidence in clients”.
Chambers UK 2015
“Outstanding in his legal skills and his rapid grasp of sensitive issues”
Legal 500 2015
“A partnership colossus”
“A thorough and devastating tactician when handling disputes”
“He is an absolute star of the junior partnership Bar – there is nothing he doesn’t know about partnership law”
“A fantastic all-rounder”
“When the going gets tough, he is the man to go to”
Chambers UK 2014
“One of the best minds at the partnership Bar”
“Rightly considered one of the foremost partnership experts in the market”
“Praised as having a very good team behind him”
“A number-one choice for court work”
“Really understands the practical reality of how professional partnerships operate”
- Cambridge University
- Astbury Scholar, Middle Temple
- Lechmere Prize Winner, Middle Temple
- Westminster School
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Served on Bar Professional Standards Committee
- Barrister representative on the Committee of the Association of Partnership Practitioners for over 6 years
Associations & Memberships
- The Association of Partnership Practitioners
- Chancery Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Property Bar Association
- Appeared on Radio Four
- The Sunday Times
- The Mail on Sunday
- The Solicitors Journal
- Practical Law: practice notes on numerous different topics including: Team Moves, Member Interests, Partner Exits and Tips in partnership and LLP litigation
- The Association of Partnership Practitioners magazine
- A Partnership Litigator’s FAQs
- The Journal of International Banking Law
- Regularly delivering in house training sessions at firms including Herbert Smith Freehills, Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Eversheds Sutherland, Fox Williams, Lewis Silkin, Baker & McKenzie, Grant Thornton, Slater and Gordon, Winckworth Sherwood and many more firms.
- Run training seminars for, Jordans, Lexis Nexis, MBL, Employment Law Association, Association of Partnership Practitioners and many others.
- Delivered webinars for Lexis Nexis, MBL and other providers.
- MBL full day seminar: A Toolkit for Common Scenarios in partnership and LLP litigation.
- MBL: Covenants, Garden Leave & Confidentiality in Partnership Agreements.
- MBL: The Law & Practice of Partner & Member Exits.
- Lexis Nexis: Partners, Workers, Employees – The Implications of recent case law.
Jeremy Callman is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. He is regulated by The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 27776] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/022] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 564625133.