Naomi Winston’s busy practice covers litigation, drafting and advisory work with a focus on partnership, Court of Protection and probate matters.
Partnerships and LLPs
As recognised by the directories (see below), the law relating to partnership and LLPs forms a core part of Naomi’s practice. She regularly acts for and advises both firms and individual members or partners across a wide range of partnerships from solicitors and accountancy firms to investment banking consultancies and private equity firms to medical practices, farming partnerships and property partnerships.
In particular, she regularly advises in relation to partnership exits, team moves, restrictive covenants and remuneration disputes. She has significant experience of advising managing partners on internal issues and also of drafting partnership and members’ agreements, retirement deeds and other related documents both in England & Wales and outside of the jurisdiction. Naomi also makes good use of her property law knowledge in relation to disputes about property used by partnerships.
- Acting for a partner and member of a complex private equity structure, challenging the decision to reduce carry.
- Acting for two members challenging their enforced exit from an investment management LLP with a Jersey holdco structure.
- Advising as to breach of fiduciary duties in the context of a merger of an LLP with a company.
- Advising as to the amendment of restrictive covenants in an LLP agreement.
- Acting for one of a number of respondents in a substantial team move dispute.
- Reinhard v Ondra  EWHC 26 (Ch);  EWHC 1869 (Ch): Acting for a former member dealing with questions of the nature of member’s interests in an LLP, whether members can be employees and what terms apply to members.
- Castledine v Bentley Jennison (a firm)  EWHC 2363 (Ch): Acting for a firm where a former partner sought a declaration that he retained a valuable equitable share of goodwill after his agreed retirement.
“Incredibly knowledgeable and full of energy.”
“She is fantastic on partnership and LLP work and her response time in fantastic.”
Chambers UK 2020
“At the top of the game for partnership and LLP work, and a pleasure to work with.”
Legal 500 2020
“Extremely bright with a deep and detailed knowledge of all things partnership and LLP, she brings huge enthusiasm and energy to all her cases.”
“Has displayed a very clear picture of her expertise in this area and is extremely client-friendly.”
Chambers UK 2019
“She has a commercial approach and provides great strategic advice.”
Legal 500 2018
‘A highly active and very well-regarded barrister with an established reputation as a junior counsel in key partnership cases, who continues to attract attention and admiration as a leading advocate and adviser in her own right.’
“Incredibly learned, very quick on the uptake and someone who gets up to speed in an incredibly short space of time.”
“Very bright and knowledgeable.”
Chambers UK 2018
“Extremely bright, with a deep and detailed knowledge of all things partnership and LLP, she brings huge enthusiasm and energy to all her cases.”
“Has an enthusiastic manner, is client-friendly and is clearly talented.”
Chambers UK 2017
“Has been attracting increasing acknowledgement from sources as a major figure on the partnership scene, having already made a name for herself supporting senior counsel in high-profile cases. Active in both contentious and advisory roles and an experienced drafter, she is also noted for the excellent relationships she establishes with clients and instructing solicitors.”
Chambers UK 2016
“Provides clear advice and is good with clients”
“She has impressive fingertip command of points of law and authorities”
“She is thorough and hardworking, and has a phenomenal brain. She keeps drilling down and drilling down until she gets the answer that she is looking for”
Chambers UK 2015
“Very easy to work with and a pleasure to instruct.”
Legal 500 2016
“She has enormous capability to turn work around quickly and is very capable in her field.”
The Legal 500 2015
- LLB (First), Leicester University
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
- Chancery Bar Association
Naomi Winston is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. She is regulated by The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 50785] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/061] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. She is registered for VAT under the reference 938328691.