Thomas joined Chambers as a tenant in October 2021, following the successful completion of his pupillage. He sat with Jeremy Callman, Richard Dew, Georgia Bedworth, Naomi Winston and James MacDougald, gaining experience in all of Chambers’ core practice areas.
He is now building a broad chancery practice, incorporating a range of advisory work, litigation and arbitration. Thomas regularly appears in the High Court and County Court and has also appeared as sole counsel in the Court of Appeal (Civil Division).
Before joining Chambers, Thomas worked in the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) as Judicial Assistant to the Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Patten.
Recent reported decisions include:
- Gorbachev v Guriev  EWCA Civ 1270 (application for trustee disclosure)
- Paul v Paul  EWHC 1638 (Fam) (acting for minor beneficiary in 1975 Act claim)
Private Client: Non-Contentious
Thomas has significant experience advising on the administration of trusts and estates, construction and related capital taxes issues, and capital taxes planning. He is well versed in applications for rectification/rescission and post-death variations and has assisted in the making of several applications under the Variations of Trusts Act 1958.
Before coming to the Bar, Thomas tutored extensively in trusts law.
- BPP Law School – Excellence Award
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple – Diplock Scholarship
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple – Certificate of Honour
- BPP Law School, London – Bar Professional Training Course, Outstanding
- BPP Law School, London – Graduate Diploma in Law, Distinction
- University of Exeter – BA (Hons) History with Study Abroad, First Class
Associations & Memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- Contentious Trusts Association
- Court of Protection Bar Association
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
Thomas James is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 70491]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/082] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 386587924.