Thomas joined Chambers as a tenant in October 2021, following the successful completion of his pupillage. He sat with Jeremy Callman, Richard Dew, Georgia Bedworth, Naomi Winston and James MacDougald.
During pupillage, Thomas gained experience in all of Chambers’ core practice areas, including Private Client (both contentious and non-contentious); Property (including Landlord and Tenant); Court of Protection; Partnership and LLPs; Tax; and Commercial Chancery. He has been instructed in his own right and is equally happy acting as sole counsel or as part of a team.
Thomas has a First Class degree in History from the University of Exeter. He was awarded Middle Temple’s Diplock Scholarship for his legal training, going on to obtain a Distinction on the GDL and an Outstanding on the BPTC. He has also tutored extensively in trusts law.
Before joining Chambers, Thomas worked in the Court of Appeal (Civil Division) as Judicial Assistant to the Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Patten.
Private Client: Non-Contentious
During pupillage, Thomas gained experience in advising on the administration of trusts and estates, issues of construction and related capital taxes issues, as well as capital taxes planning. He also assisted in making applications under the Variation of Trusts Act 1958.
- BPP Law School – Excellence Award
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple – Diplock Scholarship
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple – Certificate of Honour
- BPP Law School, London – Bar Professional Training Course, Outstanding
- BPP Law School, London – Graduate Diploma in Law, Distinction
- University of Exeter – BA (Hons) History with Study Abroad, First Class
Associations & Memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
- Contentious Trusts Association
- Court of Protection Bar Association
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
Thomas James is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is regulated by the Bar Standards Board [Bar Council Ref 70491]. He is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/082] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 386587924.