Gideon Roseman is a Chancery and commercial litigator. He advises in contentious and non-contentious partnership matters, representing both firms and LLPs as well as individual partners and members, including professional practices, such as solicitors, financial advisers and recruitment consultants and property developers. He has significant experience of high value and complex litigation in Court and arbitration. He is regularly instructed to attend mediations.
He has recently appeared as sole counsel in a number of successful appeals in the Court of Appeal in relation to both partnership and shareholder disputes.
He also specialises in commercial litigation, commercial fraud, insolvency, shareholders’ disputes, property litigation (domestic and international), professional negligence and wills and trust disputes. He has particular expertise in relation to worldwide and domestic freezing orders, as well as other interlocutory prohibitory and mandatory injunctions.
Gideon has significant experience dealing with all aspects of litigation and arbitration concerning traditional partnerships, LLPs and disputes between shareholders. He also advises on non-contentious issues, such as drafting partnership agreements and dealings with share capital, including reductions of share premium accounts.
He has particular experience in dealing with unfair prejudice petitions and derivative actions.
- Muhammad v ARY Properties & Ors  EWHC 1968 (Ch): Partnership and loan dispute.
- Popat v Khawaja  EWCA Civ 362: Successfully opposing an appeal of a committal order.
- Otuo v Brierley  EMLR 6: Defendant’s successful appeal in relation to a costs and debarring order.
- Popat v Khawaja  EWHC 2481 (Ch): Partnership and shareholder dispute, obtaining an prohibitory injunction to restrain the owner of the business from dealing with the same and obtaining a mandatory injunction for the Petitioner to take over the business on an interim basis.
- Otuo v Brierley  EWHC 1938 (Ch): Partnership dispute, dissolution agreement.
- Otuo v Brierley  EWCA Civ 1804: Successfully opposing the Claimant’s application for permission to appeal.
- Otuo v Brierley  Lexis Citation 27: Partnership dispute, 5 day hearing with live evidence for the Claimant to re-amend his pleading.
- Otuo v Brierley  EWHC 2869: Partnership dispute, 3 day hearing with live evidence in relation to the Claimant’s material non-disclosure and discharge of a freezing injunction.
“A favourite for hotly fought cases, he gets stuck in with a passion and really fights your corner. He is a man with a quick mind, who is a pleasure to work with.” ‘He commands respect from the bench and is very good on his feet.”
Chambers UK 2019 - Partnership
“Absolutely superb advocate, leaving no stone unturned.”
Legal 500 2018 - Partnership
“A lawyer who has deep knowledge of partnership law, and offers meticulous preparation and razor-sharp analysis. He’s very good with clients and determined not to lose.” “A robust and effective court advocate.”
Chambers UK 2018 - Partnership
“Draws praise for his approachability, practicality and responsiveness.” “A really hard worker with bucket-loads of passion: he’s good on his feet, good at the paperwork, full of energy and liked by clients.” “Absolutely fantastic: he drills down into the detail very well, explains and advocates in a clear way, and if the other side has got it wrong, he makes sure the judge knows it!”
Chambers UK 2017 - Partnership
“He has an impressive aura in court, and is respected by judges in the Chancery division”
Legal 500 2017
“Highly experienced at handling disputes generated within both traditional and limited liability partnerships in the legal, financial services and property sectors, acting for firms and individuals alike. Respected as a formidable courtroom opponent up to and including High Court level, he also appears regularly in arbitrations and mediations.”
Chambers UK 2016 - Partnership
“Hardworking and tenacious.”
Legal 500 2016
- Bar Vocational Course (Outstanding), BPP Law School
- LLM (First Class), Hughes Hall, Cambridge
- LLB (Hons), University of Bristol
- Inner Temple Prize for BVC performance 
- Exhibitioner, Inner Temple 
- Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Scholarship, Inner Temple 
- E.M. Burnett Prize, Hughes Hall, Cambridge 
- Highest First in Intellectual Property, University of Bristol 
- Blackstone Press Prize, University of Bristol 
- Association of Partnership Practitioners (Sub-committee Member)
Associations & Memberships
- Association of Partnership Practitioners
- Chancery Bar Association
Gideon has given talks to firms of solicitors and accountants (including Maurice Turnor Gardner, Fox Williams LLP, Addleshaw Goddard LLP and Smith and Williamson) on company, LLP and Partnership issues.
Gideon Roseman is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. He is registered with The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 53971] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [2360/067] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 984482375.