Gregory Hill has a mixed Chancery practice, covering property law, including land law, conveyancing and land registration; secured lending, including documentation, priorities and enforcement; administration, receivership and insolvency and related aspects of company law; landlord and tenant; trusts, wills and probate.
- Stroude v Beazer Homes Ltd  EWCH 2686 (Ch),  2 P&CR 6: s106 agreement; ability
y of one co-obliger to perform concurrent obligations.
- Stroude v Beazer Homes Ltd  EWCA Civ 265,  NPC 45: Admissibility of evidence of negotiations for abortive agreement.
- Patel v Shah  EWCA, Civ 157.  WTLR 359: Laches.
- Macro & ors v Thompson & ors  2 BCLC 36: Share valuation.
- Re Macro (Ipswich) Ltd  2 BCLC 354: Unfair prejudice; pre-emption articles.
- Re Exchange Travel  BCLC 887: Terms of administrators’ discharge.
- Bristol Airport v Powdrill  Ch 744: Airport charges against airline in administration.
- Mace Builders (Glasgow) Ltd v Lunn  Ch 191: Realisation of floating charge.
- Re D (J)  Ch 237: Court of Protection “statutory will”.
- Irwin v Wilson  EWHC 326 (Ch),  2 P&CR 8: Vendor and purchaser of land; waiver of contractual condition.
- Webber v Halifax BS  1 EGLR 58: Rent review.
- Hughes v Bourne  EWHC 2232 (Ch),  WTLR 1333: Saunders v Vautier; exercise of trustes’ power of appropriation; interpretation of share transfer provisions in private company’s Articles of Association.
- Armitage v Nurse & ors  Ch 241: Trustee exoneration clause.
- Hardwick Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Kennedy Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- BCL (First Class), Exeter College, Oxford
- Jurisprudence (First Class), Exeter College, Oxford
- Conveyancing Counsel of the Court
Associations & Memberships
- Chancery Bar Association
Gregory Hill has contributed to Butterworths Encyclopædia of Banking Law since 1982, editing the sections on mortgage and debenture securities; he is co-author of Butterworths New Law Guide to The Land Registration Act 2002; and he has contributed material on mortgages and debentures to Banking Law Guide, LexisNexis Butterworths, 2006.
Notable articles include:
- Successive interests and deficient fixed-interest securities: the rules in Re Atkinson and Re Bird, (2012) 10 TQR, October p 29.
- Negative pledge with provision for ‘automatic security’ on breach: a form of floating charge? (2008) 23 JIBFL 528.
- Agricultural charges and foot-and-mouth compensation, (2001) 151 NLJ 484.
- Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989, section 2, (1990) 106 LQR 396-402, a note on the application of section 2 to agreements for secured lending and equitable securities.
Gregory Hill is a self-employed, independent barrister whose practice is governed by the Code of Conduct of the Bar of England and Wales. He is regulated by The Bar Standards Board [Bar Ref 13651] and is fully insured with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund [BMIF Ref 2360/046] to provide legal services, please refer to the BMIF website for full details of the world-wide cover provided. He is registered for VAT under the reference 234263972.